Find a Doctor
Medical Practitioners who are informed and comfortable discussing Medical Cannabis
Steps to access medicinal cannabisFind out how to access this treatment option in Australia
Find a Doctor
Below is a list of Medical Practitioners currently informed about medical cannabis, registered with GreenChoices and consented to their details being published.
We recommend you ask about initial consultation and follow up consult fees when you contact them to make an appointment as these differ from clinic to clinic.
If you have questions around medicinal cannabis or need assistance finding a doctor, please contact our education sponsor Little Green Pharma on 1300 703 999
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Consult your usual Doctor
Patients considering medicinal cannabis treatment should first discuss this option with their treating GP or specialist medical practitioner. Read Talking to your doctor for more information.
Patients should be aware that currently:
- this treatment option is generally considered where other medications have proven ineffective or poorly tolerated by the patient, or where the patient is in palliative or end-of-life care.
- TGA applications (excluding those for SAS A – palliative care) need to state if the medical practitioner making the application is the patient’s ‘usual’ doctor.
Your current treating medical practitioner should have a good understanding of your medical conditions AND access to your medical records. Information regarding your medical records may need to be submitted if an application is made to the TGA.
As medical cannabis is a relatively new healthcare treatment option for Australian doctors, some practitioners may lack experience or not be comfortable prescribing medicinal cannabis. As most medicinal cannabis products are currently not TGA-approved, the regulatory framework also imposes different and generally more challenges and time-consuming requirements than those applicable to TGA-approved and established products.
If you are visiting a new doctor, you will need to discuss with them the following information so they can consider your suitability for medical cannabis as a treatment option:
- Previous medical history (around the condition you would like to discuss medical cannabis as a treatment)
- Previous medications taken (for this same condition)
- List of your current medications
- Summary of prior medical history and diagnosis (eg high blood pressure, asthma etc)
It is recommended to bring this information to your consultation and you can request this from your current practice or medical centre.
GreenChoices provides this listing as a service to potential patients who legitimately need or require medical attention/medical opinion; we have no vested interest in any specific physicians, nor do we provide any assurance or guarantee with respect to their service. Inclusion in this list does not imply that a doctor endorses medicinal cannabis products.